Sara Beresford Terry is a compassionate, highly skilled and qualified counsellor and mental health social worker with more than 30 years experience.
Sara Beresford Terry – Principal Counsellor, Mental Health Social Worker, Equine Assisted Psychotherapist & Clinical Supervisor
Sara’s passions in life include her family, her co-therapist horses Django-Joe and Johnny and two beautiful dogs, Flynn and Darci. She knows the power of connecting with nature, and loves drumming, art, bushwalking, and spending times with friends. Sara has raised a family herself and has over thirty years of experience working therapeutically with children, families and adults.
She has worked within government, not-for-profit services and private practice, in both UK and Australia and has taught Social Work and Counselling at University. Over the last 15 years Sara has also enjoyed providing clinical supervision to other Social Workers and Counsellors. Sara feels proud to be a Social Worker and enjoys the privilege she has had to help ‘make a difference’ in the lives of so many others.
Professional qualifications: BA in Applied Social Studies; Cert. of Qualification in Social Work (UK) & Masters Degree in Counselling (with Distinction). Sara has just completed post graduate training in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and is excited to be able to offer this additional service.
Sara is committed to reflective practice, clinical supervision and on-going professional training. This allows her to remain up-to-date on both advances in counselling knowledge and evidence based practice, particularly in the field of Trauma.
Training and counselling approaches:
Sara has been trained in a wide range of therapeutic approaches and keeps up to date with developments in Neuroscience, which inform her work. Sara will provide a safe space and tailor her therapeutic work to your individual needs and circumstances.
Sara offers relational based, trauma-informed therapy. She works using Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, Expressive Arts Therapies (including drumming), and Narrative Therapy. She also draws on Gestalt Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, CBT, & DBT.
Sara work is resiliency based and includes family centered and child protection frameworks.
Sara enjoys facilitating the following Group Programs:
- The Horse Wisdom Personal Development Program (Equine Psychotherapy Institute)
- ‘InRhythm Drum Therapy’ Therapeutic Drumming and Mindfulness group programs
- ‘Rhythm2Recovery Therapeutic Drumming’ Programs which combine experiential rhythmic music with cognitive reflection
- ‘Bringing Up Great Kids’ Australian Childhood Foundation. Supporting the development of Mindful and positive relationships between parents/carers and children
- ‘Tuning Into Kids’ Emotionally Intelligent Parenting
- ‘Peaceful Kids’ Mindfulness Program for Children with Anxiety
- ‘Yoga To Go’ Yoga & Mindfulness Group for 5-12 yr old’s
- ‘Learning To BREATHE’ A research-based Mindfulness Program for Adolescents
‘Wrapped In Angels’ Blanket making group, celebrating and building resilience in children who have experienced Trauma. (created by MaryJo McVeigh)
- ‘The Resilience Doughnut’ program for children
- ‘Love Bites Facilitator’ Love Bites are extremely successful Respectful Relationships Education Programs for young people aged 11-17 years.
Professional Registrations & Memberships:
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)
Accredited Mental Health Social Worker & Clinical Supervisor (Medicare Mental Health Provider).
Reg No. 204027
- Psychotherapists And Counsellors Federation of Australia (PACFA)
Clinical Member, Registered Mental Health Practitioner and Registered Clinical Supervisor.
Reg No. 21300
- The Equine Psychotherapy Institute (EPI) Certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapy Practitioner
Health Fund Provider Numbers:
BUPA – J000780
Medibank – A192051F
ARHG – PC21300T
AHM – Sara Beresford Terry
Unit G2.3 Menai Central, 5-21 Carter Rd
Sara can provide NDIS funded therapeutic supports
Sara can provide Medicare Better Access Mental Health Services, with a GP referral and Mental Health Care Plan.
Sara is an Approved Counsellor with NSW Victims of Crime
Sara is registered provider with Central & Eastern PHN for Psychological Support Services (PSS, previously ATAPS)