Counselling for children and teens is different from adult counselling. Children need ways other than just words to express and explore what is troubling them and to help learn and practice new ideas and skills.
Children learn best through ‘doing’ and experiencing, which is why we use equine assited & expressive therapies to engage and work with children. This includes Equine Therapy, drumming, art, movement and body work and nature based counselling
As a parent, you know your child better than anyone else, so it is important that we work closely with you in addressing your concerns, and helping your child, whether they are experiencing:
- Social & Emotional difficulties
- Bumps in The Road
- Childhood Trauma
We are offering in-clinic appointments, where it is appropriate and safe to do so. We are also set up to offer on-line (Telehealth) for children.
We offer NDIS services to families, where their child is self managed or plan managed.
We can work with you, to help your child:
- Develop their ability to regulate big feelings and cope with situations which overwhelm them
- Develop confidence and social skills in how to make and keep friends
- Increase ‘Resilience’ to cope with life’s ups and downs
- Overcome Sadness, withdrawal or negative self image
- To be less restricted by Fears & Worries and engage more with life
- Overcome Separation Anxiety
- Learn how to confidently respond to bullying
- Learn how to manage frustration, anger and/or aggression
- Step out from the discomforts of shyness
- Settle at night and sleep well
- Reduce feelings of ‘difference’ and feel more connected with others
- Address self-harming behaviours, thoughts and feelings
- Work through grief and loss
We offer this work with children of all abilities including children who have diagnoses of ASD, ADHD, ODD and other disabilities.
Children are generally quite resilient and adaptive to change, but occasionally big changes or a family crisis can lead to difficulties. This can even happen with children or teens who normally manage life well, and may only effect one child in a family. At these times your child may benefit from counselling to support them.
Bumps-in-the-road that children and teens sometimes face are:
- Arrival of a new baby in the family
- Family relocation
- Death of a family member, close friend or pet
- Starting pre-school, ‘big’ school or Transitioning to High School
- Family separation or divorce
- Adjusting to having and moving between two homes
- Adapting to being part of a ‘blended’ family
- Having a sibling with a disability or special needs
- Diagnosis of illness in your child or family member
Our practitioners have many years specialist experience and training in working with childhood trauma, including Complex Trauma and Developmental Trauma. We are able to offer individually tailored trauma counselling to children and young people who have experienced neglect, emotional or sexual abuse, and/or witnessed family violence.
We provide therapeutic services to children & teens who have witnessed or experienced natural disasters, traumatic events or accidents.
Families & Parenting
We are keen to work with your family’s strengths, values and priorities.
Sometimes families need some extra help with the very real ‘everyday challenges’ and stresses of parenting. At these times families can benefit from ‘Parent Coaching’ to get back on track, learn new strategies and skills so your family can become stronger and more resilient.
Some families may be experiencing more significant struggles, we are trained in a range of therapies and can select the best approach to fit your family. We offer therapeutic counselling to parents or whole families.
We work with parents, carers and foster parents who would like help to:
Understand, ‘tune in’ and respond effectively to your child’s challenging behaviours, especially when your child struggles with regulating ‘Big Feelings’
Adjust to and cope with the many challenges of conceiving, pregnancy, having a new baby and becoming a ‘family’
Develop a closer bond and attachment to your child or baby
Engage in playful connection and learn/relearn ‘play skills’
Learn how to ‘regulate’ your own emotional responses, and develop self compassion, so you can parent in your preferred ways (Parenting is a very difficulty job!)
Gain increased confidence in addressing difficulties and challenges with children’s sleeping, social skills and sibling conflicts
Learn how to provide ‘reparative parenting’ to a child who has experienced early trauma/abuse/neglect and ‘unsafe parenting’
Respond to the complex family challenges, for everyone in the family, when you have a child has unique abilities or special needs
Develop understanding and skills in responding to a ‘clingy’ or highly anxious child
Develop confidence & skills in both self-care & advocating for your child with special needs, while growing your family resilience.
Develop your skills in ‘Mindful Parenting’ and ‘Emotion Coaching’ and help your child develop ‘Emotional Intelligence’
Manage the challenges of parenting when you, yourself are coping with mental illness or chronic physical illness
Respond to the special family challenges following parental uncoupling (separation or divorce), including:
- Rebuilding a new and different sense of family identity
- Establishing safety and predictability
- Adjusting to ‘To-And-Fro’ shared parenting
- Building strong relationships within blended families
- Responding to children’s emotional experiences
Increase family Strength, Connection, Resilience and Harmony
We can also offer ‘self-care’ support sessions for carers experiencing burn out.
We can offer NDIS therapeutic support services